Preparing for Surgery
- Stop Aspirin and/or blood thinners one week prior to your procedure.
- Do not shave near the surgical area for one week prior to surgery.
- Wash your skin with chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser (for example, Hibiclens) the night prior to and the morning of your procedure. Use only from the neck down.
- No eating or drinking for eight (8) hours prior to the procedure.
- Don’t use a body lotion or moisturizer after bathing or showering.
- Do not wear hairspray, perfume, makeup, or nail polish.
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Tops with zippers are recommended.
- Do not wear or bring any jewelry, including wedding rings or piercings.
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or other valuables.
- Bring your eyeglass case and hearing aid case, if applicable.
- Arrange transportation home with a friend or family member after your procedure, as you will not be able to take a taxi alone, use public transportation alone, or drive.
- Your surgeon will direct you as to which of your home medications need to be taken.
If you have any questions or concerns prior to your surgery, please contact Muskegon Surgical Associates at 231-739-1933.